Day 1: Wear IT (Jewellery, Footwear & Fashion Accessories)

18/09/2017

Today was my first lesson in Diagnostic pathway, I am a bit nervous because this might be the beginning of my 'uni' life. The lesson today was awesome, it was based on 3D: jewellery, footwear and fashion accessories, a lot of successful works have been shown on the screen which fairly inspired me. 

Jewellery:

Themes for today:

• Connection
  • History
  • Weight
  • Small sculptures
  • Performance, movement dance
  • Recycling
  • Natural, organic

On my opinion, jewellery is

• a decoration for human body, to make your neck or ear look attractive,
  • an addition for the fashion wear, makes the clothes look less ordinary,
  • meaningful thing for example; rings or necklace which can be a sign of the marriage,
  • a symbol of a behaviour or a culture, especially in some Africa countries.

Materials are also very important for example:

• Gold  (may represent someone's status)
  • Silver  (behaviour: in China all new born babies will have a silver bracelet which gives lucky, healthy and longevity.)         
  •   Diamond (Eternal, love..)   

Anyway we have discussed where and how can jewellery be worn? Well it can be worn anywhere of the body i.e. ears, mouth, neck... But how can jewellery be worn? We have got three words to answer this question: Suspend, Support, Surround. I like how the function appear and the direction the examples shown in the class connect each other. All of them are around the neck and hold by shoulder, they enlarge the length of the shoulder which give me a shock with the visual impact. I like the work of Elizabeth Ryan, I looked carefully at this project, I can see words been formed by the materials, it looks like the artist is telling stories. 

Footwear:

Well in fact I don't really interested in footwear, but there is something that really good and I totally agree with:

Theme: 

• Innovision
  • Culture
  • Function

which can also been used for other design and are very important.

3D print is now to me which I have never tried before, it is a new and useful technique nowadays. The shape are incredible, people can not finish this shape by hand in a short period of time, but computer can do that. 

Fashion Accessories:

???? 2017-09-18 18.21.44.png 

This is my favourite artwork, I like the layers and the shapes. Each of the small pieces linked each other and form a complete shape, there are a lot of connections, therefore the shapes look changeable.

After the study, we've got a short express of our own ideas,

30 ideas with the words: Suspend, Support, Surround

Well...I think my ideas are on their ways:

IMG_3011.jpg   IMG_3016.jpg

After I drew it out, I regretted, because I found it means nothing, I've got no reason to tell how it appears on the shoulder, I just like this geometrical shape. 

I have discussed with my tutors, and I decided to change the shape of the project.

IMG_2982.JPG IMG_2981.JPG 

IMG_2978.JPG 

This idea comes from Japanese fans, When I fold it, the shape looks like a trumpet, therefore I can put my arm inside. It can add more small trumpet on it, the more the better. Because of the time limited, I can only put a few.

Here are the final project:

IMG_3013.jpg  IMG_3012.jpg  IMG_3015.jpg

However I have never thought about doing jewellery and footwear, but I feel there are so much fun and got many interesting comments, the most enjoyable thing was making our own project. These are what I have learnt and done for today.

18/09/2017

Day 2: Use IT (Product Design)

19/09/2017  

Product design existing all around our life, they've been made by creative human beings. People designed things to increase the quality of our lives, make them easier and more innovative. According to the development of society, people tend to live really rationally, therefore environmentally and sustainability are very important for product design. I've studied design technology in A-level and found it really interesting and useable. Let's have a review of my projects:

AS Projects:

This is a USB light I did in AS level, my first time learning and doing DT. It takes me three months from researches, modelling and actual process. However it was very successful and I love it. 

The most interesting part is drawing of the ideas and development, I love drawing, and how they become more valuable steps by steps. These look like child drawing but I believe it is an important process that is bound to go through and I'd like to share with everybody.

???? 2017-09-19 19.26.40.png

Then I worked very hard to developed my skills during the holiday, prepared for my final year, I made a table lamp for Unit 4, it is a lamp that can adjust height and different posture.

???? 2017-09-19 19.28.01.png

???? 2017-09-19 19.28.19.png

During these two years, I fall in love with product design, I enjoyed the process and like the feeling when I finally solved a problem. This might not be perfect but I tried my best.

Back to the lesson today...

The title was USE IT... it tells us how to use a thing. There are many ways it can be used:

• Stacking
  • Work
  • Rocking
  • High
  • Low
  • Swivel
  • Folding
  • Outdoor
  • Dining
  • Lounge

these might be the reasons why we need things, and how they exist.

In product design, researches are very important, two main parts are primary research and secondary research. Primary research means techniques of original data collection or research direct from the target respondents. It is different from secondary research in that secondary research uses data or research that has already been collected.  In today's lesson We have looked at a few classics, they are famous and...expensive... because of there historical backgrounds or the processes of manufacturing. Some of them only exist in galleries or cafe, they can also be decorations. My favourite one is DSW Chair, designed by Charles and Ray Eames in 1950. They are colourful and adorable, compared with classroom chairs (Robin Day's chair), DSW chair got narrow back and more comfortable curve on the bottom, also very obvious that the wooden legs make the chair luxury and attractive. 

This is a very normal chair around our life; simple, cheep, lightweight and useful. PP makes the chair impact resistance and easy to clean, therefore it will not be easy to damage the chair, people can sit safely. To customise and develop this chair, I prefer adding some functional features for example a drawer or a hook therefore the chair can be more usable for a student.

First of all we need to find out how people are likely to sitting on the chair; postures, it helps me to develop my idea. Here are a few simple sketches I've drawn for people sitting on the chair.

???? 2017-09-19 22.29.53.png

Then when we back to the classroom, we've gathered our information, The second use part inspired me a lot i.e. Bag storage, as a table or even footstool. Because that is how we might develop the chair that has already exited, people use them for more or other reasons not just for resting:

IMG_3064.JPG

According to these information, some initial ideas coming...But this is just a quicker doodle, so that only appears a few elements. What I was thinking is the hand-holder for body relax and the foot treadle so that we can place our foot comfortably, personally I don't like me foot touch the ground, however it is weird but hopefully so do my friends.

???? 2017-09-19 23.05.50.png 

Then I need to make them out, I have got a page with three parts of shapes, when I combine three parts together, the shape appears: 

It looks like a sofa actually, when I fold glue them together it looks terrible like the picture shows below. The legs of the chair is very thin, therefore it won't be able to stand stable if I cut extra paper nearby. But on the other hand, it gives me a lot chance to improve and adjust.

IMG_3073.JPG 

Here I added a handle on just one side of the chair, why only one? because here give more space to place the body, and from my own research, there is only a few percent of people placed both arms at the same time, only one for each time but change the sides. 68 percentage of people prefer left hand side instead of other side, in my point of view it is because a large amount of people normally use right hand to do things i.e. writing, computing. So people can put the left hand on the holder and relax a few part of body as well. 

???? 2017-09-19 23.48.20.png

There is a interesting part on my chair because I have added a drawer at the bottom which use the waste space. It can be adjustable, or it can be stable as well depends on the users. Also as you can see, I've hollowed the back of the back, and fold them to a shelf, so that we can put some small stuffs or books which we might not use  frequently on it. But there are some disadvantage and risk as well, because it can not be made too long, so that the space is limited, and it might occupied the area behind the chair. However in this prototype, it still look good.  

IMG_3074.JPGi

It is a bit interesting that at the bottom of the drawer there is a curve shape. It is my foot treadle, but I've mede it more aesthetic, to make it not just functional, also decorative.

Here is the final look of the prototype, I've move it on the window with a beautiful sightseeing. I have learnt a lot in the lessons and I am very enjoy it. 

Day 3: Build IT (Architecture)

???? 2017-09-21 22.34.54.png

21/09/2017

Today's lessons is about architecture, it is very special and geometrical. We've look through the topic of the buildings and the interior fittings, some of them are impossible but still been built successfully, some of them are functional and attractive. Personally, I like geometric shapes a lot, they combine lines and shapes together, and look very three dimensional. Sometimes they are infinity, because they can be added more layers, to develop and improve the structures. We have looked at some examples of interesting architecture.  

???? 2017-10-01 ??9.18.55.png

This design of the building looks impossible, it has been made by a kind of glasses which look like the paper has been folded, the grain looks obvious and also the reflection of the sun is different, so that it looks three dimensional because of the shadow.

???? 2017-10-07 ??5.15.10.png          ???? 2017-10-07 ??5.17.01.png

???? 2017-10-01 ??9.19.11.png

???? 2017-10-01 ??9.19.23.png

I am not very sure what is this, it looks like a  viewing platform. It is high and see-though, therefore people can view things clearly. But the space is quite small, so that it may unable to hold many people inside.

What are we going to do is based on the geodesic structure which use wood frames to create the shapes. We connect two sides of the each sticks, the shape will depends on the number of the sticks. 

IMG_3164.JPG.2  IMG_3166.JPG

The shape is a bit wired, because it is not a normal shape which got equilibrium edges, there is a little star at the bottom, and it tend to be narrower at the top. Actually it looks like a Christmas hat. At then, me and my partner decide to add more layers. 

Then tutors ask us to combine our sculptures together with other group to make them a bigger sculpture. Looking around carefully, I found a group got similar shape with ours, they've also got a star shape, so I asked them and wondered to joying together. After we fixed them together, they look so well.

IMG_3183.JPG.4           IMG_6471.JPG.1

They look beautiful with the shadow at the background, I can see the stars by layers. And I really like the idea using light and shadow to present this project, however it might not very appropriate to Architecture but at least the picture looks aesthetic. And here are some more photos of the sculpture:

IMG_6464.JPG

IMG_6470.JPG.1

Then back to our group, we need to use paper to cover the space, this is a important thing because the frames can not tell anything, when the paper block out the spaces, we will be able to tell people where is where. This is the final look of our sculpture.

IMG_3223.JPG   

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG 

In our sculpture, we've just covered some shapes because we want more light coming through. At the middle of the sculpture it was my idea to make it hollowed, because this is the biggest space, if we block it with a whole piece of paper, it will make the sculpture look dull and heavy. Looking at the bottom of the picture, the shadow is beautiful and imaging this is a building, People at the ground floor might be enjoyable to defined the light and the beams of the light. 

As we can see, this sculpture got a really good light resource, therefore my partner and I decided to think of it as a library, because library is the place that people can read book inside, so light is a important thing, they can enjoy the light everywhere in this library. Also the shape is very attractive, people might will want to stay there.

And this is the end of the lessons, Architecture is a interesting subject, during this lesson, I have learnt how to work as a  group, and to solve the problems in the actual situation. I am very satisfying with the work I did today, and think this is valuable.

Day 4: Fashion & Textiles ( Your Surroundings)

25/09/2017

During this week, we have looked and learnt a lot things based on Fashion and Textiles, this is a very hard pathway and it covers a wide range of areas, so it's not easy for teachers to condense them into three days. However I'm very grateful to the teachers for keeping them interesting, I really enjoy the lessons of this week. Compare to last two weeks, I found that the speed of doing Fashion and Textiles is very quick, most of the time is limited for example, we've got more short and quicker sketches and limited time drawings. We need to open our mind wider and wider to follow the steps, it is intense but orderly. And also we have collected more resources from the environment around which is fairly interesting and unique. 

Today we have our lessons at Kings cross, here are a lot of buildings around, and this is  the topic for today, we need to find out shapes from the surroundings and get idea and inspired by them.

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_3510.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3523.JPG.1      IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_3541.JPG.1    IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3566.jpg        IMG_4176.jpg

0C6EF4AC-E10D-40D9-9E2C-5C3DBBC68BE9-4497-0000036FE75DF1BD_tmp.JPG     5A71CBF4-6CEA-48F3-9A90-5B627C74D0B8-4497-0000036FF1672BE2_tmp.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG.1 IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_4162.jpg

Day 5: Fashion & Textiles ( Your Data)

26/10/2017

Today's topic is 'my data'. We haven been told to take personal belongings with us and discuss in groups.The starting point is objects that I think form my identity. Whether they make me happy, help me in your daily life or signify something, for example, it is very interesting that six girls in my group all got a lipstick and a mirror, boys all took earphones. This is pretty funny because we might defined someone's habits.

Many artists and designers create work inspired by themselves. This project is about combining and creating ‘visual data’ in both 2D and 3D based on ourselves.  I will also consider the abstract and literal ways in which they connect and their varying levels of importance in my life. This is a textiles based project. Importance is placed on the ability to make selective judgments with the qualities being viewed and handled; surface, texture, tone, shape, silhouette, weight and colour. We have been asked to work in groups throughout the day, initially using everyday objects and materials which I supply and I must consider my relationship to them, and each other. Including their varying degrees of importance to me.

IMG_3575.JPG

Then we combined our projects together in two people's group, me and my partner just placed them randomly from big to small. We need to draw them on paper using different mix media, it is like a quicker exercises, because we will try a lot of method to draw.

IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

Actually me and my partner put our sketch books together, and drew on them, when we separate the paper, the drawings look like one side has disappear.

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg     IMG_3585.JPG.1

IMG_4166.JPG.1

Also, we have looked at some others work and drew them as well. This group is really attract me, I like the way they use the chair's legs and strings are very important because they are use to keep the stuffs stay stable.

IMG_3588.JPG    

IMG_4167.JPG

Day 6: Fashion & Textiles ( Your Interpretation)

28/09/2017

???? 2017-10-13 ??9.13.24.png

Today is the final day of Fashion and Textiles, through these days, I understand and find out it might not be what I want, but the process and experience is still interesting and unforgettable. During this week, I found that there is a lot off drawing has been used in  the class, and it is a important skill if we are studying Fashion and Textiles. Drawing is one of the most important visual communication tools used by both Fashion and Textile disciplines to communicate ideas. This project develops our drawing skills by introducing us to a variety of unusual approaches to drawing and mark making.

We will emphasize elements of our observational drawings and mark making into illustrative outcomes. translating observations by looking at composition, line, tone, exaggeration, scale, colour and texture, using a range of drawing mediums & materials each with different qualities for you to explore. The project is also designed for us to experiment with other ways of visually communicating our ideas. 

So today we have been asked to combine our works from Monday and Tuesday to create a final piece. Initially I considered the structure in relation to the body. By using these structures to style a group of models with a mixture of draping material, costume and accessories. Investigate this intensively through drawing. This exercise then be repeated using the same techniques but manipulating and reinterpreting the structure away from the body. After experimenting with drawing and mark making I spent time looking at other methods of visually communicating my ideas. Then I decided further which direction I want take my structure, documenting the process with experimentation within sketchbook.

IMG_3656.JPG.1   IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

Day 7: Fine Art ( Collection project brief)

02/10/2017

Today is the first lesson of Fine art and also the penultimate pathway though all our diagnostic pathways, it means I need to decide what I am going to focus on for the rest of the year. From the beginning, Fine art is my top choice, during these days, I am more sure about my decision. I love Fine Art, I feel really comfortable and enjoyable in today's lesson; creative, innovative and unique. Today's topic is collection, we've been looked though a lot of artists works, they are coming from different countries, I can see the different between medias and thinking directions, during this process, I can find out how interesting the art is. And also I have learnt some new words may appear and help creating my own inspiration.

1. Methodology ----> Between CONTROL and DELIBERATE

2. Appropriation 

3. Context ----> Value can be ALTERED

4. Standardisation ----> COMPARE and CONTRAST

???? 2017-10-02 ??10.58.34.png    

This is an interesting artwork in the presentation, it has been made by a Chinese artist, it was when she need to clean her room, and this was how she collect the rubbish or wastes from her home. Looking carefully, things been place orderly from big scale fabric to small scale for example toothbrush and lighter. I found that when combine a large number of things even they are small, but the effect will be very impressive. 

Then what we did for a short practice is that in a group we collect our own stuffs and place them in a reasonable way.  

IMG_3838.JPG

We have six people in our group, we only place our own stuffs in specific areas which means we have all got individual sections to place our things, but looked from whole scale  they are in one part. We all set near own sections, the reason is that, from own part, we can defined the character of this person, and what kind of girl she is. For example, at bottom right, there are many different colour pens and pencils in a big pot, this might shows the girl near it likes drawing also at bottom left, chocolate biscuit, marble chocolate and chips, this girl might be hungry now and she likes chocolate. This little collection is very funny and I like the look of those collection been placed very neat and orderly.

At lunch time, we have been told to collect ten things according to 2-5 ideas, and there must be a theme around these collections. Thinking about the media and the way it appears and how can I collect them. 

One word just went to my mind: Red, this is my favourit colour and somehow it do not appear frequently but it is really stand out. So I collected the things that is red and in a simple background, because I want the red really obvious.

Here are my collections:

IMG_3855.jpg      IMG_3871.jpg

Very interesting is that, the chairs in whole classroom are based on black and blue, but at a secrete corner, I found a red chair which really delight me. 

IMG_3865.jpg

This is a good shot, because the wall is white which makes the fire hydrant stand out more prominently. 

IMG_3877.jpg            IMG_3880.jpg

Those two things are very popular and well-known in London, the colour always make me happy everyday. As you can see above, my theme must be red which is my favourit colour. The reason why I want to pick it as a topic is because there are quite a few things that cover by red, and red always exist alone. 

Then what for next: 

I have used photoshop to develop the pictures. Red has been retained in the picture whereas other colour turned black and white. This is what I want, because this is very obvious and people will find out quickly,  when I place them together, they will look greater, the red will be the most attractive.

IMG_3895.JPG  IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG  IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

This is my favourite picture, this lady didn't realize that I was taking photos of her. She wore a red coat and walked pass the street, when I took this photo, the wind was very strong therefore you can see the coat has been moved and her hear was flying.  The style of the background looks like previous century, because people used white and black pictures before, and this is the sense of the age.

Day 8/9: Fine Art (Preparing for Thursday presentation)

03-05/10/2017

This is a project that aligns to the Fine Art: 3D pathway Contemporary artistic practice is incredibly open, definitions of which are being constantly discussed and updated. Sculpture and installation can begin with artists finding that working in three dimensions is the most appropriate method of communicating their ideas; equally, the starting point can be a response to materials and space in their own right. Often the process will combine both approaches – conceptual and ‘thinking by making’. You have all had an induction to the workshops at Archway. This project is specifically designed to allow you to apply technical skills towards three dimensional outcomes. 

So Tuesday and Thursday we have been prepared a presentation of a final piece for our own collection. So what I have got from Poundland is a red yarn and red and black tapes. I have print the pictures and decided to stick them on a piece of wall. During this two days, I found out more photographs for red around my life, and I collected them adding to my presentation. 

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG.1 IMG_3970.JPG IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3966.JPG.1 IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

Day 10: Graphic Communication

09/10/2017

Graphic communication is a new subject to me, it includes a wide range areas, it combines core graphic and communication design skills with image, styling, journalism and digital platforms. The work is specifically located within the fashion industry.

Through some examples, we know I a graphic designer working on a thing or a word. In my group, we have been given both adjective and none shown below:

???? 2017-10-09 ??9.22.38.png

What I got is Fabric, it is a kind of materials such as clothes, and my partner got Political. Therefore we need to making work representing Political fabric. This is a tricky topic for us, and here are my brain stone:

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

So our idea is that, people are been controlled by the government, It's like having a lot of invisible hands pulling people from different directions, they all affect our life. 

IMG_4269.JPG

We find two people to help us pulling kitty's shirt and hear, black goes really well because we can see the grain on the shirt, the more harder the more grain appear. Kitty looks like she is hopeless, being dominated by life and pressure.

IMG_4268.JPG

This idea come to my mind really quickly, sometimes we live like transparent air, no one can hear us, and understand us, we can only tell the story to ourselves, we scream and seek help, but it just no one there. The word hopeless, and look like a puppet.

Then we bought a bigger bed sheet as our fabric. Our idea has been developed because we might think the problem in other directions, this is how we work in graphic design, the important thing is the the process of achievements.

IMG_4196.jpg 

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

Then we thought about going outside, using the material and object around the street for example trees or public bins. We trying to think widely and focus on political, then act with fabric sheet.

IMG_4212.jpg 

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

The lesson is really interesting today, and we have looked thought other groups' work, some of them made a video to record a moment of movement, so maybe next time, I can make a video to give the project live and time. Also for my fabric, video might be a good choice to try, because the texture will really work in the video. But by the way I am satisfying with the works today.

At my leisure time, I have added some special effects on the pictures to make them more attractive, catching people's eyes, and stand out. 

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

Day 11: Graphic Design (Illustration)

11/10/2017

Today's lesson is an interesting part in Graphic design, the topic for today was Lost letters, when I first saw the topic, a lot of posters and advertisement came to my mind. letters and words are really important nowadays around our daily life, we use them to communicate with somebody else, we use them to transfer information. Now back to the topic, why are they lost? they might be separated in different places, they might be located in a invisible place or a place that is difficult to find out. It lifted my curiosity and made me exciting for this lesson.

About illustration:

This lesson is about Illustration which is the visualisation and interpretation of ideas, concepts and information that also works as a means of expression. It takes diverse forms and exists in a variety of mediums from drawing to printmaking, digital to 3D. Illustration exists in the world and is for the world; it reflects society and is shaped by what surrounds it. It is a vehicle that sheds light on the most diverse topics and makes them accessible to everyone. Illustration is an outward facing discipline that exists primarily in the context of the public realm.

Today's Project Description:

This one-day project is an introduction to illustration and printmaking. The project also introduces us to the possibilities for combining type with image or using type as image. I will create an image using screen-printed elements in combination with a printed letterform to explore a narrative of our choice. The printed letterforms available are all from incomplete alphabets, they have lost the ability to spell whole words. So I need to use them to make visual stories, sounds and characters by exploring illustration, composition, colour, repeat and sequence.

Start:  

First when I get the letter 'C' i am a bit confused because the letter has been rotated therefore it looks like a 'n' but with a wider mouth. What is it look like? I asked myself, first come to my mind is the original telephone which got both speaker and receiver, the shape is exactly the same, but suddenly I passed this idea, because it is not very unique and also the letter is placed in the middle of the paper, so that the printing will only looks good when around it. What about a hedgehog?Its back is round, so that the shape can be used as its back and I can maybe add some background or decoration around it. But looking carefully of the shape, the letter is not that around, it is lose and thin, like a spreading smoke. Wait! What about smoke, it actually look like the smoke that next to the volcano, it stay near the volcano and take a long time to disappear. This is a really good idea, and in my opinion Mountain FUJI can be the best choice. Finally I have used Mountain FUJI with the smoke as my project today, and I have made a wonderful one-day work at the end of the lesson as well.

Process:

???? 2017-11-27 ??10.53.52.png

Day 12: Graphic design (Site special type)

14/10/2017

???? 2017-11-27 ??10.59.38.png

To look at the world as a designer is as Paul Rand said to understand that “design is relationships. Design is relationship between form and content” and in that respect “everything is design, everything”. This project engages with the relationship between text and location and explores a core skill of a graphic designer to create typographic interventions in the everyday environment as a form of communication. 

So for today's lesson we will make, install and photograph a site specific text work that responds to or changes a space within the building or local area. The challenge is to connect my chosen message to my location in a surprising and inventive way so that the viewer is encouraged to look again and engage differently with somewhere familiar, forgotten or unremarkable. This topic sound really attractive because it relevant to the surroundings, so that people can actually touch it or feel it like a individual immersive environment.

We have been looked at a few artists examples, Alex Peemoller's work really inspired me, it looks like Alex separated one word in to different pieces, and placed them in individual areas for example walls and ground. Someone might ask that, it looks really confuse when looking at it, because in some directions, the word can not connect perfectly so that it looks unusual, but there must be a good viewing point that we can define the word completely.

???? 2017-12-04 ??2.06.31.png

So these are the three places I have found in the building, they all look geometrical with shapes. Then finally, I chose the last one which is at the basement, because there are three walls that I can use. So that the spaces I can use are three dimensional.

Therefore here are my final project:

???? 2017-12-04 ??11.11.07.png

Fine Art (4D) Presentation

25/10/2017

This is the last day of our 4D lessons. We have presented our own works in today‘s lessons, which we prepared during last two days. It was very exciting because we can share and talk about our projects with group members, The role is that the producer will close their mouth and it's time for visitor to describe and discuss what they think the video is about. This is a really important and interesting process because people will help me achieve my project, and I can also collect ideas and learn from them.

IMG_5098.jpg    

We are all made our video based on different timelines, some are in 1960 whereas some is the present. Therefore it is very good having a change and a refresh of our eyes. During this process, I found out a lot of interesting effects that people used and different ways that they are trying to express their memories and inspirations. It is very useful to think why and what the present want to talk and what its means because we will do the same process to ourselves when we are doing a project. In my point of view, it doesn't need to be very complex or full of images and information, the important is the feeling and the motions that gives to the viewer when produce the project. During these lesson, I found that when watching a same video, people are all in different faces, some people are enjoyable whereas some are suffering pain. For instance, I don't enjoying bloody things and death bodies, they are like nightmare, but people collect them and made a video, However the meaning is quite good, he said that Sleep for health, otherwise we will die for less relax. 

Actually the day goes quickly, we have looked though all of our projects. My project is about collecting the voice of the water according to the changes of the shape, but people in my group linked it with global warming which I am a bit confuse about, but I think that might be because of it is about the nature. 

It is worth to learn 4D, however I might not that in it compared with Fine art 3D, but I really enjoy the things we did these days, I have learnt a little knowledge about Adobe Premiere which will be very useful in the future, because personally, I am a film lover, and I record my life frequently, however I am not very professional but it will develop my skills and also will wider the spaces of my inspiration. 

Fine Art (4D)

23/10/2017

Today is the first day after part one, as I suppose, I am now focus on the Fine Art, but the different is that we still need to fine it out more specific, because Fine Art has been separated to three parts which are 2D,3D and 4D. Today is based on 4D, which means movement such as movies or short cuts. It was a really busy day because we have been learnt using Adobe Premiere Pro through all day. The same as Photoshop but Premiere is for movies, this knowledge is new to me, so that I am really exciting about it, and also it might be useful in the future, arts are always link to each other.

We have been looking though a number of artists and their examples, LUX collection is a good website because we have found out a lot of interesting artists on it, the CNN Concatenated has been made by one of the artist, The movie combined a lot of short cut of the CNN news of each words of different presenter, and re-edit them together to make new sentences. The most interesting things is that, the movie told us not fair of dying, the sentence was " Do not leave, nobody will die in front of television." I am quite confuse at the first time actually, but suddenly I realize that the artist is encourage us to continue watching the video and do not leave. This is a really good idea to transmit the information because the artist knows that the visitor will listen really carefully and focus on each piece of the words. It makes the video sound amuse and interesting. Then Christian Marclay's work " The Clock" has also been mentioned in class, it is like a game of time, and it looks like there is an another world in television but we all live within the time. 

However most of the movies are about combing the sound and the results are perfect, therefore I decided to make a collection of the voices of water. As we all know that water always change its shape, and it sounds different when in specific situation for example water drop sounds different with it comes with river or in the sea, this is because of the scale, it is the power of the number. And also it might because of the time, even the sea is huge and brimless, but it also comes from individual drop of water, and it takes time. Raining is also important, because that is how the nature create water. 

In this project I decided to separate pictures and audios, because I want people to define which scale of the water it is according to listen the audio, and then the pictures appear on the screen. So hear first and then people will be able to visualise. And this is how I though today, the full video will be made tomorrow.

Fine Art 3D

Today's project is about three dimension. This is a pathway that contemporary artistic practice is incredibly open, definitions of which are being constantly discussed and updated. Sculpture and installation can begin with artists finding that working in three dimensions is the most appropriate method of communicating their ideas; equally, the starting point can be a response to materials and space in their own right. Often the process will combine both approaches – conceptual and ‘thinking by making’. This project is specifically designed to allow us to apply technical skills towards three dimensional outcomes.

We have looked at a 3D lecture about a few artist, especially a Mexican artist Damián Ortega, his artwork is a big ball with newspapers. Every day from the 29th August to 27th September 2010, Ortega responded to something that caught his eye in the newspaper, which he then attempted to communicate or embody in some way. Using readily available urban materials, Ortega by the end of the month had made close to 30 three-dimensional works that together reflected the ‘stuff’ of a big city, and provided a snapshot of what had happened in the world. This is a unique method of collect and made two dimension things three dimensional. Also in my opinion, this is a experience of accumulation and overlapping. So we have been told to use this method during this weekend.

We are going to use Ortega’s methods, but we will make an outcome or outcomes related to the articles of a single day rather than a whole month. Before the project begins, you need to identify something in a newspaper that interests me. We’ll refer to this as our ‘story’, but it could be a photograph, a graphic, a crossword puzzle—anything that stands out for me. Newspaper is a good material to collect information and images. a piece of information a title or even a shape can give my inspiration.